Monday, September 1, 2008

Reflect

Tonight.. I will get a bit personal. As I sit here at my computer, I can not help but reflect on the past and think about the future. You see, yesterday, one of my best high school friend's brother passed away. He had been fighting for his life since the 24th of August due to injuries from a motorcycle accident. If there is one thing that my small hometown community of Defuniak Springs is good for, it is coming together in the time of crisis and need with prayer. Ceaton had so many people praying for him to be a miracle. Unfortunately for us, God did have other plans for him.

In the morning, I will sit down with his sister, and help her pick pictures and prepare them to display at his funeral.

Ceaton's Funeral.

It takes me back to the end of May when I lost my grandmother.

Tears flow from my eyes as I write this. I just keep praying for peace. For I know if I lay all my sorrows in God's hands, He will take them away and replace them with peace. But even knowing that I argue with myself how to find a balance between life and death.

Another close friend said, "That's why I always tell you and all my friends how much I love you when I talk to you. You never know what will happen."

That being said, we can't live our lives afraid that something will happen but we also can't take it for granted. We have to find that balance of saying and doing the right thing today and now.. because there might not be a later or tomorrow.

Nonetheless, I look back on my life and although I've always known this, I am amazing blessed and very thankful! I've had a wonderful life full of people who love me and are always there for me. When I was making the decision to start my own business my family and my friends encouraged me more than 100%! I have a wonderful husband, a beautiful daughter and I've been blessed in my lifetime to have only lost one close family member. One whom I miss dearly. My Grandmother. I wear her diamond cross necklace around my neck everyday.. and I kiss it.. and I tell her I love her. Those where the last words I said to her.. I love you.. only hours before she passed away. That too is a blessing. I do not have to regret not saying or doing something that I should have.

So if you are reading this.. take a minute to reflect on your life. Look back and no matter what religious belief you have, take the time to be thankful for everyone and everything you have. Remember that there is always someone that has it worse, or is going through something worse.

I also ask that you say a prayer for Ceaton's family to find peace in this sorrowful time of their lives.

I'll leave you with a couple verses from the Bible that I'm repeating to myself daily.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to reap that which is planted. A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to to mourn, and a time to dance. A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing. A time to get and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace." Ecclesiastes 3:1

God Bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Leslie!! That was beautifully worded! I as well have so many blessings to be thankful for and have only lost my grandfather. I can only imagine how it would be to lose a brother/sister. All those affected are in our prayers. You are also right about our community always pulling together in times of sorrow. Times like these are when it is great to live in a small town.

abcdef said...

Leslie, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You are in my prayers girl. Loved your post. Very heartfelt. I lost my Grandmother in 95, but sometimes it seems like yesterday.

I never realized you lived in Defuniak Springs. I have a cousin that lives there. You stay safe during these tropical storms & hurricans.


Friends of Leslie Roark Photography!

BlogCatalog

Photography Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Leslie Roark Photography